I Read 26 Books in 2017 When the Goal was 0
So, last year was an adventure… A lot of stuff happened and didn’t happen and oh my gosh was it a giant stress-ball of a mess.
But anywho, I started off the year with a goal that I KNEW I would be able to keep. I decided to read 0 books in the year 2017. I burned myself out in 2015 and 2016 reading 50 and then 39 books in a year.
All I did was READ! So, I wanted to know what it felt like to not have a reading goal and to not put pressure on myself.
But, as all New Year resolutions happen to be, it was a complete failure. I am a true reader at heart. I ended up with 26.5 books (I read one that crossed into the new year). I guess it’s 26 books. That’s what I could find on reading lists, OverDrive history, Twitter book storms and alert emails.
I actually have no clue what the true amount of books I read last year because I didn’t track it AT ALL. I literally gathered this information up last night. My goal was 0 and that meant I didn’t have to waste time in tracking.
But that was a lame idea since it made me go on a giant scavenger hunt. But alas, here are the books I read and the data.
- How to Start Your Own House Cleaning Company – Angela Brown
- Why We Get Fat – Gary Taubes
- Starch Solution – John McDougall
- Think and Grow Rich – Napoleon Hill
- You Were Born Rich – Bob Proctor
- Lean and Clean – Hannah Howlett
- A Court of Thorns and Roses – Sarah Maas
- The Mindful Entrepreneur – Joel Gerschman
- The 1-Page Marketing Plan – Allan Dib
- All About Them – Bruce Turkel
- Big Magic – Elizabeth Gilbert
- Sprint – Jason Knapp
- Growth Hacker Marketing – Ryan Holiday
- An Automatic Millionaire – David Bach
- I Will Teach You to be Rich – Ramit Sethi
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School – Jeff Kinney
- Don’t Pay For Your MBA – Laurie Pickard
- How to Make Money on YouTube – Adelle Ramcharan
- What the Witch Left – Ruth Chew
- The Millionaire Mind – Thomas J. Stanley
- No Excuses! Brian Tracy
- The Compound Effect – Darren Hardy
- 25Days – Drew Logan
- How to Win Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegie
- This Book Will Teach You How To Write Better – Neville Medhora
- A Model for a Better Future – Kim Alexis
Want Some Data?
Here are some charts that show some data on the books. The first one shows how many books I read each month.
Jan: 3 Feb: 2 Mar: 2 Apr: 0 Ma: 0 Jun: 2 Jul: 2 Aug: 1 Sept: 4 Oct: 2 Nov: 4 Dec: 5
It’s cool to see that I read the same amount of books in Nov and Dec than last year.
The second chart shows the percentage of physical, audio and digital books.
My goal this year? To create a better system to keep me in check with my reading. I don’t have a number. Just a super long list.
Continue this conversation on Twitter: @smplymnmllfe for minimalism inspiration and @katelyncresmer for Katelyn« Being Eco-Friendly, Less Wasteful and Sustainable